Unanswered Call

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

December 17, 2004- Saturday

Another lonely Saturday night. I dropped James and Nate off at a school dance. They were meeting their dates at the school. A week ago they asked me to drop them off because, "It is so embarassing to be dropped off by mommy and daddy at a school dance." With a statement like that, who can say no?

They are going to call when the dance is over. Glacier High School looked like... well, a glacier.

The theme was winter wonderland. Fake snow, snowflake cut-outs, and christmas lights were everywhere. As I dropped them off I saw Sally and her date. Sally rushed over to the car and greeted me, "Hello, Lindy."

I replied, "Hi, Sally." She grabbed her dates arm and brought him closer to the window "This is my date, David." I gave a little smile and said, "hello."

He looked at me and said, "Hey. Sally we really should get going. Since you are on the committee, you should be in there helping out." Sally smiled and said, "You are right, Davey. How about you stay out here with Lindy for awhile? I'll be right back."

That's right. She trapped me again. She ran off with her shawl flailing in the air. I looked up from the ground, he was staring at me. "I hate it when she calls me Davey.", he said suddenly. I shook my head slightly, "What?"

he smiled, "I know that was quite random." I smiled, "it was a little random." He inhaled deeply, "So, why aren't you going to the dance?" I looked away, "I didn't feel like it."

"If memory serves me right, you have never attended a dance." he said smirking. "Memory doesn't serve you right," I said quietly, "I went to one dance during Freshman year. That was more than enough socializing for my high school years."

I couldn't believe it. I was actually telling him things. What is wrong with me? The more people I let in, the more it will hurt.

"Really? I didn't know that you-" he said before i cut him off. "Yeah, no one really knew. Well, I have to go. It was nice meeting you. Goodbye."

He smiled, "You don't recognize me?" I looked at him puzzled. Was I supposed to know him? I picked a pebble with my shoe, "No, I don't." He cleared his throat, "What year is this car?"

Then it hit me. He was one of the parking lot guys. Interrogating me about my new/old car.

I smiled, "Oh now i remember. But I still have to go. Goodbye." I hopped into my car, started it, and left as quickly as possible.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home